Making Good Food – Easy Quinoa Salad
A couple of weeks ago we had the privilege of sharing our story – recovery of health and vitality through diet change, fermented foods, and more – with about 80 people at Harvest Health Foods in Hudsonville, MI. While this story – the paths that led us to Michigan, to diet change, to fermented foods, eventually being woven into West Michigan’s good food fabric – is an important part of our message (and which will be featured in future posts on CulturedLove..com) along with our specialty sauerkraut products, we are also passionate about helping to make this sort of life change accessible. We accomplish this by providing information, products, and education where it’s needed the most, which varies from person to person.
At this Harvest Health event, our goal was to send people home with a sense that they could create a couple of tasty dishes that their family would enjoy, incorporating fresh ingredients and highly beneficial fermented vegetables (our kraut). This Quinoa Salad is one of the recipes we shared, and we hope many others will enjoy it as much as we do. One of the benefits of this salad is that it is a simple, all-in-one meal that you can pack into a small container for a quick take-away. Hope you enjoy it!
Hot & Spicy Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa (or 3 cups cooked quinoa)
- 1½ cups black beans (or 1 15oz can)
- 1 ½ cups corn (thawed, if frozen)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced (or other color, if referred)
- 5 green onions, diced
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼-1/2 cup Purple Hot & Spicy kraut from Cultured Love (other flavors will work fine, too)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Juice from 1 lime
- ¼ tsp salt
- Rinse and drain quinoa.
- Add to pot with 2 cups water and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to low, simmer for 20 minutes, or until all water has been absorbed and quinoa is tender.
- In a small bowl, combine the five Dressing ingredients and whisk together thoroughly.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked quinoa with all the remaining Salad ingredients.
- Pour dressing mix over the large bowl contents, toss to combine all ingredients.
- Chill before serving, or serve immediately