Making Good Food – To Joe, With LOVE…Jane
Recently, for the second consecutive year, we had the opportunity to participate in Grand Rapids VegFest, last Sunday at the DeltaPlex arena in Grand Rapids. It was a great opportunity to meet committed Cultured Love kraut fans, to fulfill the desires of kraut lovers previously unaware of our existence, and to introduce the whole idea of fermented foods – including the fact that they CAN be delicious – to others.
In addition to sampling and selling kraut, along with our new t-shirts and kraut-centered decorative items (see pics below, and watch for them to appear in our online store in the near future), Jodie kicked off the vegan cooking demonstrations for the event, delighting a large crowd with vegan Sloppy Joes and Hummus, both incorporating Cultured Love krauts and other fantastic ingredients. The hummus recipe is available in an earlier blog post, and the new Sloppy Joe recipe is presented here. We think it’s a great recipe, another easy way to incorporate more good foods (including kraut) into your family’s diet and have them asking for more.
To Joe, With LOVE…Jane (Vegan Sloppy Joe)
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 medium sized onion chopped
- 1 bell pepper- any color you like chopped
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 cans black beans 15oz rinsed
- 1 can diced fire roasted tomatoes – 15oz
- 1 Tbsp Apple cider vinegar
- ½-1 cup Purple Hot & Spicy Kraut
- ½-1 cup Dillyicious Kraut
- Heat oil in sauté pan on medium high and add chopped onions and peppers.
- Sauté for 5 min then add minced garlic and cook for two more minutes.
- Now mix in salt, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika and coconut sugar stir until well combined.
- Add the black beans, tomatoes and apple cider vinegar, stir together and let it heat through for 5 minutes.
- Turn it down to low and let simmer another 5 min.
- Stir in ½-1 cup Cultured Love Purple Hot & Spicy Kraut.
- Use immersion blender and pulse 3-6 times to get desired consistency.
- Put your Sloppy Joe mixture inside your favorite bun (or wrap) and top it with Cultured Love Dillyicious Kraut.